CEO Symposium 2018
|The Coalition for Education in the Outdoors Research Symposium is held biennially at Bradford Woods. The next symposium will be held from January 12-14, 2018.|
CEO Symposium 2018 registration is now live! Click here for registration instructions.
About the Symposium
The CEO Research Symposium will take place at Bradford Woods from January 12-14, 2018. It will feature a pre-symposium conference beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, January 12 followed by the Research Symposium itself commencing at 4:15 p.m. For more information on the pre-conference and symposium schedule visit the Coalition for Education in the Outdoors website at www.outdooredcoalition.org.
Those flying, and planning to attend the pre-symposium conference, may wish to arrive on Thursday afternoon or evening, January 11 (See Preconference section below). If flying, and attending only the Research Symposium itself, it is best to arrive at the Indianapolis Airport before 2:00 p.m. on Friday. Doing so will allow making the 2:40 shuttle and arriving in time for the 4:15 opening session. See ground transportation information below for more information pertinent to travel planning. Some attendees like to arrive the night before and stay at one of the many airport hotels.
Check in will start at 1 pm on Friday, January 12th at the Bradford Woods Manor House (the first large building you come to when entering the property). Other important information includes:
- Check-in: Check-in will be from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. on Friday, January 12 at Bradford Manor.
- Meet and Greet: 3:00 – 4:15 p.m. on Friday, January 12, at Carr Center
- Opening Session: Begins at 4:15 p.m. on Friday, January 12, at Carr Center.
- Meals: Meal plan runs from dinner Friday through breakfast Sunday and includes refreshment breaks and socials on Friday and Saturday evenings. A commuter option, without breakfasts, is available.
- Program: The symposium includes over 25 refereed research presentations, roundtable discussions, informal socials, and much time for informal interaction.
- Closing: The structured program will end with a Saturday evening social following an informal roundtable discussion. Sunday breakfast will be the final meal.
- Pricing information:
- Commuter Registration ($185 professional/$140 student) – Includes Dinners, Lunches, and Snacks. Breakfast is not included at this registration level.
- Basic Registration ($205 professional/$155 student) – All meals are included in this registration level, including breakfasts and snacks. Lodging is not included.
- Baxter Cabin Registration ($247 professional/$188 student) – Includes accommodations in one of our Baxter Cabins, in addition to meals. Our Baxter Cabins each offer a large room that sleeps 10 people, two small rooms that each sleep four people, one half-bath, a large community bathroom and a sitting area with a large wooden table and chairs. The Baxter Cabins are all fully accessible, and offer a quaint atmosphere.
- Agape Lodge Registration ($269 professional/$205 student) – Includes accommodations in our Agape Lodge, in addition to meals. This cabin provides a cozy atmosphere, and includes six bedrooms with a combination of bunk beds and single beds. It also has a spacious living room area, as well as a full kitchen. There are also separate male and female bathroom and shower facilities. The great room has tables and chairs, along with several couches and a fireplace. Agape also has wireless internet.
- Manor House Registration ($290 professional/$230 student) – Includes accommodations in the Bradford Woods Manor House, in addition to meals. The Bradford Woods Manor, our premier facility, was built in 1912 and comes equipped with fire places, a pool table, small meeting spaces, and linen service. Its eight charming bedrooms offer one to five beds per room, with each bedroom having its own restroom.
This year’s CEO Symposium will be feature a preconference entitled “Human Health and Outdoor Settings – The Role of the CEO”. The session will take place on January 12, 2018 from 9am – 3pm, and will feature several guest speakers covering various topics, such as: Human Health and Outdoor Settings; data collection, tools, and practice; findings and research gaps; and the role of the CEO.
- For $95, register for Thursday arrival to receive dinner on Thurdsay, a night’s stay in the Manor House, and all of the meals included with preconference registration for Friday only.
- For $40, register for the preconference on Friday only and receive breakfast, lunch, and snacks.
Bradford Woods is about 30 minutes south of the Indianapolis airport. There are several ways you can get to the camp:
- Rental: The Indianapolis Airport is well served by many car rental companies. Many attendees find this a convenient and affordable option, especially if sharing the cost. Bradford Woods is less than 20 miles from the airport.
- Taxi/Uber/Lyft: These options are all available at the airport. The typical cost of an Uber ride to Bradford Woods from the airport is around $23.00.
- Shuttle: Go Express Travel operates a shuttle between the Indianapolis Airport and Bloomington, IN. The shuttle leaves the Airport Ground Transportation Center every two hours between 6:40 a.m. and 10:40 p.m. (Best if your flight arrives before 2:00 p.m.) Travel time is about 30 minutes. The Cost is $20, and tickets can be purchased ahead of time on the Go Express Travel website . Bradford Woods is not a standard stop for the shuttle – you’ll need to tell the driver you are going to Bradford Woods. Staff of the Bloomington Shuttle may be reached by calling 800-589-6004. Those taking the shuttle will need to find a ride back to the airport with people who rented cars.
Bradford Woods Refund/Cancellation Policy
Monies will be refunded in full if cancellation is made 30 days or more prior to the event. If cancellation is made 29 days or less prior to event, Bradford Woods is unable to issue refunds.
NOTE: This is a tentative program overview. The final program may differ and will include more details. If you have program or schedule concerns, or if you would be interested in leading a discussion, serving as a presider or time-keeper, or helping out in some other way, please feel free to contact:
Recreation, Parks and Leisure Studies Department
Cortland, NY 13045 Voice: 607/753-4951
For questions about lodging, meals, or registration, contact:
Chad Simmons, Retreats Coordinator
5040 State Road 67 North Martinsville, IN 46151
765-342-2915 Ext. 5202