Group Policies and Procedures
Bradford Woods is accredited by the American Camp Association and the Association for Experiential Education. The following policies and procedures are written for your safety, the integrity of our land and programs and the longevity of our organization. It is required that you read and comply with all of the policies and procedures as your program agreement is, in part, based upon these materials. Please note that future bookings depend upon your compliance with stated policies and procedures.
Deposits, Confirmations, and Cancellations
Deposit and contract. Within 14 days of booking your event, you will receive a service agreement for your upcoming event. To reserve your requested facility, you need to return your signed Bradford Woods agreement, along with a 25 percent deposit, to us by the due date listed on your service agreement. All deposits are non-refundable.
Cancellations. If you need to cancel your reservation for some reason, please notify Bradford Woods immediately. Your group will be held responsible for the 25 percent non-refundable deposit in addition to the following fees:
- 25 percent of estimated total – with 31 – 60 days notice prior to program date
- 50 percent of estimated total cost – with 30 days or less notice prior to program date
Before your group arrives on property, an event coordinator will be in touch with you to confirm your event details:
Check-in time.Please be sure to schedule a check-in time at least 30 minutes prior to your guests’ arrival so your event host can meet you at your scheduled facilities, walk through the facilities with you, confirm your event details and provide you with emergency contact information. If you realize you will be early or late for your check-in time, please contact your event host as soon as possible.
Number of overnight guests.You’ll need to let your event coordinator know the number of people you expect to have at your event. It is important that we know the number of male/female participants as well as the number of chaperones in your group so we can help you determine the most comfortable sleeping arrangements. Please also remember that all youth groups must have one chaperone per twelve minors (1:12 ratio).
Confirmation of final numbers must be submitted at least 14 days prior to the event.
Linens. Please note that only the Manor House comes equipped with sheets, towels and toiletries. If you have rented the Agape Lodge or any of our dormitory-style cabins, your group is responsible for providing these items unless you make prior arrangements with your event coordinator. If you would like us to provide sheets, towels and toiletries for your group, our charge is $8 per person.
AV needs. If you need to rent a projector, screen, flipchart, or TV, please contact your event coordinator. Technology that is built-in to a facility is included free-of-charge.
Facility Set-up.Please note that in an effort to keep our rental rates as low as possible, all facilities are rented with a standard facility set-up. You are welcome to move the tables and chairs into any configuration you desire, as long as you move the furniture back to its standard set-up prior to your departure. We can provide customized set-ups, including linens, for a reasonable fee. Please ask your event coordinator if you would like us to assist you with a customized facility set-up. If tables and chairs are not returned to their standard set-up, your group may be charged additional labor charges of $50 per hour required to reposition the furniture.
Catering. Groups may either prepare their own meals or use Bradford Woods’ catering services. No outside caterers are allowed. If you are using Bradford Woods to provide your meals, our kitchen staff will contact you prior to your event to collect your menu choices, any specific dietary needs and estimated numbers. Our kitchen staff is able to accommodate vegetarian and vegan guests if arrangements are made in advance. Please provide them with your menu selections, meal times and dietary needs at least three weeks prior to your event. Final guarantees for all meals must be provided to our kitchen 14 days prior to your event. Your group will be billed for this guaranteed number or your actual number of attendees, whichever is higher.
Kitchen Usage. Guests who rent the Manor House, Griffith Hall or Cross Keys Inn may rent the kitchen facilities in these buildings for an additional charge of $75. Since these facilities have commercial kitchens, guests must make arrangements for an orientation session prior to their event. The Agape Lodge has standard kitchen facilities, which may be used without an orientation session or kitchen usage fee. Guests must follow safe food handling/kitchen usage procedures posted in our facilities, which include the use of approved disinfectants in kitchen cleaning. Please let your event coordinator know if you would like to reserve kitchen facilities for your upcoming retreat.
Alcohol Service. Please notify your event coordinator if you would like alcohol service at your event. Bradford Woods is an auxiliary of Indiana University and must abide by the University alcohol policies and procedures. As such, any alcohol brought on the Bradford Woods campus must be served by a third party, licensed bartender who has met the liability insurance requirements of Indiana University. If you are interested in serving alcohol at your event, please ask your event coordinator for a copy of IU’s alcohol policy.In compliance with Indiana State Law, it is illegal for participants under 18 years of age to bring cigarettes and chewing tobacco and under 21 years of age to bring alcohol.
Programming. During your group’s stay at Bradford Woods, you are welcome to participate in self-guided hiking tours, use the basketball courts and enjoy other land-based games. Other activities require a fee/programming staff and must be arranged through your event coordinator. If you would like to fish on property, please notify your event coordinator so he/she can provide you with a copy of our fishing procedures and bill your account for the appropriate number of participants. Other activities (i.e. swimming, canoeing, pontoon boat rides, climbing tower, etc.) that require the use of program staff/lifeguards must be arranged a minimum of four weeks prior to your event. Swimming in our lake or pool is not allowed without a lifeguard present. Likewise, use of our challenge area and equipment is not allowed in the absence of trained Bradford Woods facilitators.
If your group has any Bradford Woods-facilitated activities planned for your stay (i.e. hiking, canoeing, swimming, climbing), each member of your group will need to complete a participant agreement form. Minors need to have this form signed by a parent/legal guardian. As a result, these forms need to be sent out to your participants prior to their arrival on property. Guests will not be allowed to participate in any Bradford Woods-led activities if we do not have a completed participant agreement form on file.
When requesting programming for your event, please fill out the group profile form and return to your event coordinator as soon as possible. This will allow us to meet and exceed your expectations as best as possible. Unless specifically requested, programming will be done in the outdoors. As such, groups must be prepared with appropriate clothing for the weather. Recommended additional items include sunscreen and insect repellant. Your event coordinator may recommend clothing appropriate for certain types of weather conditions.
*Note: During activity periods all participants must wear closed-toe shoes. For water-based activities, sandals that stay on the foot or water shoes may be used.
Equipment Rental. Various other items may be rented from Bradford Woods staff upon request, including grills, linens, extra tables, etc. Please ask your event coordinator for a list of these items.Personal recreation equipment is permitted with permission of event coordinator. Client is responsible for security and integrity of equipment.
Campfires. Your group is welcome to build fires in designated fireplaces and campfire sites. A member of your group is responsible for starting the fire, monitoring it and extinguishing it prior to leaving the campsite or fireplace. At a minimum, a five gallon bucket of water must be available within ten feet of all campfires. Your group may purchase firewood from us for $20.
Transportation/Parking.Since parking is limited on property,all parking and transportation arrangements need to be made through your event coordinator.In some instances, your guests may need to park in a nearby parking lot and walk or be shuttled from a remote parking location. You are welcome to provide your own shuttle service between areas. Shuttle service can also be arranged through your event coordinator at a rate of $25 per hour.Please notify your event coordinator of the number of cars and/or buses you will be bringing to Bradford Woods so he/she can help you make appropriate parking and shuttle arrangements for your group.
Event agenda. If your group has a planned agenda, we recommend forwarding this information to your event coordinator so we can confirm all your event details.
Check-out time. Please allow fifteen minutes before departure to meet with a Bradford Woods host regarding your stay.
Bradford Woods retreat guests must agree to the following guidelines for responsible behavior:
Firearms and Weapons. No weapons or firearms are allowed on Bradford Woods property.
Gold Panning and Prospecting. Gold panning and prospecting is prohibited on Indiana University and Bradford Woods property.
Animals/Pets. Bradford Woods does not allow any visiting pets on property. Exceptions may be made for service animals.
Lost/stolen items. Please avoid bringing or wearing any expensive jewelry or device that may get lost or damaged during your stay. Bradford Woods is not responsible for the damage, loss or theft of any items brought on the property.
First Aid & Emergencies. Bradford Woods does not provide health services so each group is responsible for providing their own first aid/emergency care services. During any Bradford Woods programmed activities, staff will be available to assist in this area.
- CPR/First Aid Provider. Each retreat group should have one person present who is CPR and First Aid certified from a nationally-recognized provider including training in Blood borne Pathogens (BBP). For your safety and convenience, an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is located at Baxter Dining Hall, the waterfront beach house and American Camp Association.
- Permission to Treat forms. Bradford Woods recommends that your group maintain a roster of participants and permission to treat forms in the event of an emergency.
- Medical Treatment. Retreat groups are responsible for providing their own first aid kits and emergency care and transportation.
- Medicine dispensing and storage. Medications must be carried and dispensed by an agency representative only. Bradford Woods recommends that the group stores and secures all medications appropriately (locked, refrigerated when necessary, out of reach of children, etc.)
- Emergency assistance. In the event of an emergency, 911 service is available to Bradford Woods. It can be accessed from any facility phone by dialing 9 – 911. If this type of emergency assistance is needed, please contact your Bradford Woods host for additional guidelines and support.
- Weather Emergencies. A siren will sound on Bradford Woods property in the event of a tornado or severe weather. Shelter locations for severe weather are included in the welcome binder in each building on property. If possible, please make your way to the preferred location. If weather will not permit or you determine it is unsafe to move that distance, please make your way to the alternate location. In cases of severe lightning or thunderstorms, please move to the nearest shelter or building and out of harm’s way.
- Bradford Woods recommends that the group provides its own supplemental accidental/illness insurance if they deem it necessary.
- For all teen and youth retreats, groups must have at least one adult for every 12 minor participants. All group participants ages 18 and younger must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Groups of 100 or more participants must provide notification of ratio requirements to your Bradford Woods event coordinator at least two weeks prior to your scheduled arrival date.
- Groups are required to follow Indiana University’s policy on Programs Involving Children which requires background checks to be completed on all adults working with children. Please see the following link for specific details of the policy: IU Programs Involving Children.
- For the safety of other visitors and wildlife, please adhere to the following rules:
- Please observe the posted 20 miles per hour speed limit.
- Limit driving through property during your event unless needed for shuttling purposes.
- Since some roads are one way, please be sure to read traffic signs while driving to and from your retreat facility.
- Participants are not permitted to ride in the back of trucks, tractors, four-wheelers or other non-passenger vehicles.
- Clients must ensure that at least one vehicle remain on-site that may be used for group transportation if necessary.
- Vehicles are to be parked in the designated parking areas only. The delivery and fire lanes to all facilities must be left unobstructed. All driveways and roads must be clear of cars in case of emergencies. Please consult your Bradford Woods coordinator to discuss parking options. Bradford Woods reserves the right to ask your participants to move to another parking location should space and safety necessitate the need to do so.
Property Use. When conducting activities, please remember that other groups, as well as Bradford Woods staff members, are staying on property. To ensure that everyone has an enjoyable experience, please:
- Do not use facilities you have not made prior arrangements with your event coordinator to rent.
- Observe Bradford Woods’ quiet hours from 11:00 P.M. until 7:00 A.M. by returning to your overnight facilities and minimizing noise.
- Please be respectful of staff residences that are intermingled with guest cabins.
- For group safety, please avoid challenge course areas, waterfront (including docks), pool, archery and the barn.
- We anticipate that all lodging and meeting facilities will be left in clean and acceptable conditions upon departure. This requires groups to remove all trash from their facilities and to leave all facilities in close condition to how they were found. If the conditions of the facility require cleaning or maintenance work, your group will be billed $25 per hour for these services.
- Smoking limited to designated areas. In accordance with Indiana University’s smoke-free policy, smoking is not permitted in any residence, facility, or on Bradford Woods property by clients, service providers, summer staff, and non-residential staff members. However, these individuals are permitted to smoke discretely in personal vehicles.
- Flammable materials are not permitted at Bradford Woods.
- Fires limited to designated areas. A member of your group is responsible for starting the fire, monitoring it and extinguishing it prior to leaving the campsite or fireplace. At least a five gallon bucket of water must be available within ten feet from all campfires. Please discuss campfire site options with your Bradford Woods representative prior to your arrival.
Head Lice & Bed Bugs
- Anyone with active head lice should not attend programs at Bradford Woods until they have been treated appropriately. Groups should screen their participants before coming and discourage capers from close or direct head contact with one another. If head lice are found during a program at Bradford Woods, the affected individuals will be asked to remove themselves from programming until appropriate treatment has been initiated (as per the instructions of the treatment).
- Bradford Woods maintains an aggressive policy to prevent bed bug infestations. Anyone known to have bed bugs should not attend camp at Bradford Woods without first undergoing a heat treatment on their personal effects (Bradford Woods can assist with this if needed). Bradford Woods actively sprays to prevent bed bugs several times per year, and in the event that bed bugs are discovered, eliminates them by heat treating the affected areas.
- Bradford Woods is Indiana University’s Outdoor Center, and we value protecting the environment:
- Recycling. We have provided recycling bins at various locations throughout our property: Carr Center, Manor House, Agape Lodge, Baxter Dining Hall and Griffith Hall. If you have trouble locating these bins during your stay, please contact your event coordinator. We recommend groups bring re-usable water bottles and coffee mugs for the duration of the event to help Bradford Woods reduce waste.
- Trail Usage. We encourage you to enjoy our trails. Please do use our trail maps to ensure that your group stays on the trails at all times. This will help to lessen the impact we make on our environment. Please do not harm or collect plants (including mushrooms) or wildlife.