Leaving a Legacy (1930-1950)
By the end of 1937, John was concerned about what would happen to the family’s large estate when he died. The three brothers left no heirs. Clara, though married, had no children, and Eliza’s two daughters showed no interest in the estate. John hoped to keep the property intact, but was unsure how to go about securing that legacy.
Between 1938 and 1941, John Bradford donated his home and 2,300 acres of pristine land to Indiana University for the benefit of Riley Hospital’s children with disabilities and other “charitable, educational, and recreational purposes.” The property was named after the Bradford family in honor of their generous gift to Indiana University and the children of Indiana. This was one of the first major gifts received by Herman B. Wells, then president of Indiana University (1938-1962).